Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Necessary Evil

Moving is probably one of the most stressful things a couple has to face together. First there's looking for a place to move. Once you've found that "perfect place" you have to pack up your stuff, everything you own into boxes. Then you have to haul those boxes into the new "perfect place" which, once you get used to, you'll call home. But the delightful journey doesn't end there. You also have to unpack. But no matter how many times you unpack your stuff you always see, to be digging through another one to find a tooth brush, or a universal adapter for your air conditioning unit or for tissues.

In the close to two years that we've been married, my husband and I have survived two moves. The first one just a block away after six months of marriage. After a year and a half we've moved to yet another house. A smaller one, in fact, that couldn't hold all of our possessions. My mother thanked us for the "new" wardrobes we gave them plus a generator set, a counter top, plastic tables and chairs and a sofa with two foot stools. Despite this, our new place is still in shambles. Our entire ground floor is dedicated to kitchen and dining room. We have no living room furniture down there. Our two fridges, standing freezer, stove and counter tops filled up more than half of the floor space. I already desperately miss my make shift kitchen. Many people has told us I could film my own cooking show there. Watch out Giada de Laurentis! Alas, we had to get rid of one of the counter tops that made up our "island".

This long introduction is not an excuse. I am telling you this right now. It is not an excuse that I've eaten off plan for two days. I take full responsibility. But when you're so stressed and cannot find cooking utensils and all the fridges are taped close, what can you do? So yes, I ate off plan. I am saying this out loud, to the few who will read this so I can take responsibility for it. There. It is out there. I can start again.

Because isn't this low carb journey just like any other? We all take it one step at a time. Here's my next step: grilled chicken with calamansi and soy sauce. No rice, please.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please leave your name or your comment will not be approved. Comment moderation has been enabled. Thank you.