Sunday, May 30, 2010

"I-Can't-Believe-This-Isn't-Cheating" Cream Cheese Balls




You might think I'm exagerrating but I'm not. Whenever one of these cream cheese balls touch my lips, my brain sends out an alarm: CHEATING! CHEATING! CHEATING! But I, of course, know that the nerve endings in my brain are just spazzing out from the deliciousness that my tongue is experiencing.

I first met these balls whilst reading a thread on LCF about what to do with 18 blocks of cream cheese. Since my hubby hoardes Philly cream cheese blocks like it's going out of style (but seriously, we don't find them so easily in our neck of the woods so hoarding is a great idea, moreso because of this recipe). “didi” posted,“Keto Balls! They can live in the freezer.” Followed by the link to the recipe.

Now... Keto balls sounded... vile, like something you'd find living in the socks you wore to the gym once and forgot to throw into the washer because it managed to crawl BY ITSELF under the bed only to be found when you were looking for your flip flops. It sounded nasty and gross. But since I like living on the edge, I clicked the link. And boy was I happy to be the adventurous clicker that I am. Because this recipe is anything but vile or nasty or gross. It is divine and easy and oh-so-good you'd forget, your brain will actually forget, that it's LEGAL.

You may find the original recipe here. The one below is a double batch and with a minor tweak.


See the lovely flecks of green from the pistachios?

Ingredients

Cream cheese, 2 (8 oz) blocks
Unsalted butter, 2 sticks or 1 cup
Splenda, 1 cup
Nuts of your choice (I used ½ cup of pistachios)

1.Make sure the cream cheese and butter are at room temperature. This will make it easier to mix. With an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese and butter well. Add the Splenda and mix some more.
2.For the nuts, I chose to incorporate them into the mixture rather than cover the balls. I only had ½ cup of pistachios that I crumbled and crushed into smaller bits, not powdery though. I gently folded the nuts into the mixture.
3.Refrigerate for at least an hour.
4.Scoop the mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with cling wrap or parchment paper. I used my small ice cream scooper which can hold 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon. Then I stuck toothpicks into the little balls before putting the cookie sheet into the freezer. You can certainly roll after scooping, but I didn't want to deal with the mess. I made about 30 balls with this batch.
5.After freezing, transfer the cream cheese balls into a covered container and keep in the freezer.

Just a couple of notes: I have recently gotten sensitive to sweeteners and the 1 cup of Splenda used here is too sweet for me. Next time I will use less Splenda, maybe start with half a cup and take it from there. Second, make sure you use UNsalted butter so that the flavor of the cream cheese remains the star of the show. Third, with the nuts this is obviously NOT for Induction but you can just omit the nuts and I bet it will still taste good and you'd feel like you're cheating. Lastly, didi is right. These will live in the freezer... but not for too long. I have to constantly remind myself that I can only have one ball a day. So thanks to didi for linking this and to MandyM for posting the recipe on LCF.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just amazing. Something I'm sure the whole family will love, especially in the upcoming heat of summer. :)

dee said...

It's really great! I like it straight from the freezer because it takes a long time to finish one ball. Portion control is really important with this recipe. LOL

Anonymous said...

Ya it's a great recipe, I have them in my freezer.

Diane said...

Hi there - I ended up at this page randomly a while ago, printed the recipe, and now I'm ready to try it. I think there's a mistake, though. Shouldn't it be 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, not 18 oz.? I clicked on your link to the original so I'm sure that has to be it.

Now I'm going to make the Keto Balls, and I look forward to tasting them! =)

dee said...

Diane, thanks! I never saw that error. I have edited it now to say 8 oz. You have a great eye. Enjoy the balls!

Regay said...

I made these yesterday, They are great, and indeed they do make you feel guilty eating them. Keep your recipes coming. I am ready to try some more, we had the pancakes for breakfast and the cheese balls for a snack in the afternoon.

Dee said...

Hello Regay! Thanks for dropping by. I am so glad you liked this recipe. I am a big fan of it as well :) It's so yummy and perfect for when you're craving something cold and sweet. :)

Hello*Pretty said...

Yum! I'll have to try these once I start low-carb again! Will be following you.
-Kare

Anonymous said...

I added 2 scoops of protein powder and 2 teaspoons of fiber and dip them in a sugar free chocolate OMG I don't put the nuts in but I do add cocoa in half of the mixture to make chocolate ones and vanilla ones they are amazing and hit the spot you only need 2 and this will make you smile... WOWI love these and they don not taste like diet food I use Xero sweetner.. it is like a powder sugar but not carbs...

Anonymous said...

I added 2 scoops of protein powder and 2 teaspoons of fiber and dip them in a sugar free chocolate OMG I don't put the nuts in but I do add cocoa in half of the mixture to make chocolate ones and vanilla ones they are amazing and hit the spot you only need 2 and this will make you smile... WOWI love these and they don not taste like diet food I use Xero sweetner.. it is like a powder sugar but not carbs...

Eden said...

What is the carb count and serving size?

Vicki said...

Wonder if you could make the balls with onion and dried beef? Like baby cheese balls? Think they'd still freeze ok?

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please leave your name or your comment will not be approved. Comment moderation has been enabled. Thank you.