Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Ugliest Cheesecake Ever


Wrinkles give these cheesecakes personality



For the longest time I have avoided making cheesecake. Don't get me wrong, I love it. So much. That's why I didn't wanna mess it up. That and the fact that an 8 oz block of cream cheese costs well over PhP 100 (that's just a local brand, not even Philadelphia!). So the thought of fudging it up and wasting money at the same time was enough to make me step away from all the delicious cheesecake recipes online.

Recently, I stumbled upon a recipe that really tempted me. It didn't have a lot of ingredients and instead of using a springform pan (which I've never seen in real life) made use of a muffin pan. I figured making cheesecake muffins would be a far lesser task. The recipe was a success. I made it a few more times, dressing it up with strawberries and whipped cream, eating it plain. It was just that good.


This is NOT low carb

When I decided to go low carb, I looked at that recipe and just by simply removing the crust turned it into something I could enjoy - albeit in small portions - and still stay on plan. Even better news is it's allowed on Induction! Magic words, right?

Now you can definitely make this prettier but unless you want other people to steal it, DON'T. Who cares about those wrinkles anyway? Or the fact that sometimes the middle part sinks? It might not be pretty but damnit it's good! AND LEGAL! Again, the magic word!

The Ugliest Cheesecake Ever
*Adapted from various cheesecake recipes and inspired by Chocolate Kiss' Sour Cream Cheesecake
serves 12

Ingredients

16 oz cream cheese
1 C Splenda (NOT sugar blend but granular)
2 t vanilla
4 T lemon juice
3 T sour cream
2 eggs


Forgot to take a pic with the cream cheese. Sorry!


1. Preheat oven at 325. Prepare 12 cup muffin pan.

2. With a mixer, beat the cream cheese until there are no more lumps. Slowly add the Splenda, incorporating both ingredients well.


Beat the cr*p out of that cheese!

3. Add vanilla, lemon juice and sour cream. Blend but make sure not to over mix.

4. Add eggs one at a time, gently mixing after each one.

5. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. I used an ice cream scooper to divide them equally.


Invest on an icecream scooper. It's convenient and not that messy to use.


6. Bake at 325 for 12 to 15 minutes depending on your oven. Check at 12 minutes and the tops should be set but not hard. I actually like to underbake this because the center has that ooey gooey cream cheesy filling that I love.

7. Let cool for at least 30 minutes. Put in the fridge for at least 2 hours. This is best eaten cold.

Carb count 3.7 per serving

Notes
If you want to make prettier cheesecakes, check this out.
If you're past Induction (woohoo!) you may add fresh strawberries on top or even do a nut crust.

7 comments:

stacey.biggar said...

Here is my fav low carb cheescake recipe. I usually bake it at 300d degrees, and I usually skip the crust and topping - just the filling! Sometimes I flavour it with almond extract, lemon zest, etc.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/moms_cheese_pie.html

AngieA said...

hey, im making these now, i didn't have sourcream so i added some sugar free hazelnut creamer and some cinnamon i put them in mini muffin cups and i mixed it up in my mini majic bullet (use this for everything) these taste yummy very cold, i also put a dollup of sugar free chocolate pudding on each mini muffin...low carb and lovin it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I tried your recipe tonight and it was delish...thanks for it. Linda

tiedyegirl said...

I tried these today. they were pretty good. The only thing is, I didn't have a lemon on hand, so I used just lemon juice from out of the bottle, it is too much, the cheesecake came out kind of sour.So, next time, I'm just gonna half the lemon juice and put in an additional tsp of vanilla. good recipe!! thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

These all sound awesome. ..my husband has lost 20lbs since the end of Jan 2013 & these would make a nice little treat for him...I wonder if they'd freeze well?!?

Anonymous said...

I just found this and want to make them. Do you happen to know how many calories in each?

Unknown said...

Well, I just made them last night! And they are delightful! I put a small pat of sugar free strawberry jam on top! Yum!
I was also thinking about the sugar free chocolate chips I have! I wonder if I could melt some in the bottom of the cupcake liner to make a chocolate bar "crust"? I may have to try next time!

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please leave your name or your comment will not be approved. Comment moderation has been enabled. Thank you.