Friday, September 17, 2010

The Essential Flax

When one begins a low carb journey, one comes face to face with words or terms that one never knew existed. "Ketosis". "Stevia". "Critical Carbohydrate Limit". "Induction". "Flax." If you mention any of these to someone who's not on a low carb diet, you might get a blank stare. I would have to admit that before doing Atkins I've never heard of any of these words including flax.

But the more I read about flax, about its benefits and how using it as in ingredient can make something akin to bread, the more I wanted it. So I did what anyone would do, Google it. I looked into buying it from the US but the shipping cost alone would be more than the price of the flax itself. Then I stumbled onto FlaxAsia where more benefits of flax are posted and most of all the company is based right here in the Philippines! It's more convenient and definitely cheaper to get flax from them.

Flax is not just for low carbers like myself but it also helps in lowering blood sugar and preventing heart disease. I strongly suggest you visit their site to read all about the numerous benefits from this highly nutritious plant. The good people at FlaxAsia sent me a sample of their product complete with reading material that would further educate me about The Essential Flax. I received the package yesterday and I have already made three different variations of a low carb recipe using flax. I will post these recipes in a little bit but because I am a tease, here are a couple pictures of what I've made so far.


Cheeseburger with Flax Seed Bun: Look ma! I can hold my burger now! No need for fork and knife!


Cinnamon Flax Seed Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting

Didn't those pictures make you drool just a little bit? The best thing about flax is it's okay for Induction and helps in "regularity". Now, I have a secret I want to share. For both those recipes, I did not use any flour. Not even a little bit!

But don't fret. I will have separate entries for both recipes but let me just reiterate how wonderful flax is and how I am so amazed by the taste and texture. This is the closest to "real bread" I've ever been. Thanks to the wonderful people at FlaxAsia and I will be ordering more soon as my bag is already half gone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please leave your name or your comment will not be approved. Comment moderation has been enabled. Thank you.